Friday, September 18, 2015

First days in Helsinki

This is a country that lives on chocolate and coffee -- my kind of town! Had a cappuccino (which came with a piece of chocolate) and cheese danish for breakfast. I met Heikki at the train station and he treated me to more coffee and carrot cake at the oldest cafe in Helsinki. We talked about Foley matters and the upcoming lecture. He is wonderful and I could not have a better friend here.

It is cold, wet and rainy -- such a relief after the brutally hot weather we've been having in Southern California. I took a walk up to the daily open market at Helsinki harbor. Lots of handmade goods, fruits, vegetables, fish and many tented cafes, selling coffee (of course) and sandwiches.

 

There is a train strike today, protesting the coming cutbacks with the newly elected government, but everything is open anyway. Maybe some museums today?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment